Subscribe to Computing Intelligence

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Revamping the Reference Game

As my long-time readers may remember, before I started posting puzzles I started what I refer to as the 'Reference Game'. The game consists of titles that are, either in part or whole, pulled from some other source (usually television or film, but sometimes also music lyrics or literature). In its original incarnation, I had wanted people to simply leave comments telling me the context of the reference. However, that format seems to be unwieldy. So, I am changing it. While I will still denote posts in the reference game with quotation marks around the title and the 'Reference Game' tag, I would ask that people send me their solutions to my email: mozglubov@gmail.com. Also, once a month or so I will publish a list of the most recent references (just in case people missed the quotation marks). Then, a few days later, I will publish the solutions to the references in a similar format to the puzzle solutions.

So, for those who missed them earlier, the previous references so far have been:

1.) "That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth"

2.) "Gonna live it up down old South America way"

3.) "All non-believers stand aside in fear"

4.) From whence came the word "propulgate"

5.) "Kids say the darndest things"

6.) "It's alive"

7.) "In a garb of black we must pay respect to the colour we're born to mourn"

8.) "You, sir, are a mouthful"

Of those titles, 1-3 and 8 have all been solved, while number 4 was mostly solved. 5-7, however, are still open. As with the puzzles, there is an honour system at work here, so you should report whether or not you had to look the solution up or not.

0 comments: